three rivers

Big Ben’s talent deserves praise

BY MORGAN SCHMITT
Sports Editor

Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, and Peyton Manning are probably the most praised quarterbacks in the NFL.

Although these quarterbacks deserve the praise, it’s time for the Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger to bet in the same category.

With the Steelers defense normally being the face of the organization, Roethlisberger’s influence on the offense has gone overlooked. Now that the defense does not instill the same fear into opponents the offense has been pushed to the forefront.

Over the past few seasons, Big Ben has been throwing the ball more than ever. He has eclipsed the 500 pass attempts mark three out of the last four seasons.

He has also thrown for 4,000 yards or more in three out of the last four years. He has thrown (104) touchdowns in this time as well, while being in the top 10 of quarterback rating for six straight seasons.

It isn’t even the stats that Roethlisberger is known for: it is his amazing escape ability. There is not another quarterback in the league who can elongate a play like Ben can, not even the likes of more mobile quarterbacks such as Russell Wilson or Andrew Luck.

The ability to escape is Ben’s best attribute, but what truly makes him great is that every time he is behind center playing quarterback, the Steelers are always in contention to not only make playoffs but to win the Super Bowl. Ben has more Super Bowl titles than future Hall of Fame inductees Drew Brees and Peyton Manning.

This season was probably Ben’s most impressive since his run in 2004 when the team went 15-1. This may be true due to help from MVP candidate wide receiver Antonio Brown and from Le’veon Bell, who had the best season in his young career at the running back position.

With Ben Roethlisberger at quarterback, Steeler fans can always look forward to a possible Super Bowl run.