Hirt Locker

‘Lisa Frankenstein’ creates comedy, suspense

Lisa+Frankenstein+can+act+as+a+new+role+model+for+kids.+
Focus Features
Lisa Frankenstein can act as a new role model for kids.

Fillipih, Staff Writer

Lisa Frankenstein shows a new perspective on being the “weird kid” in school.

The movie follows Lisa Swallows, played by Kathryn Newton, and “the creature,” also known as Frankenstein, played by Cole Sprouse, as they fend off Lisa’s fellow students and search for new body parts.

Newton perfectly portrays the expressive and eccentric character of Lisa. She shows Lisa’s complexities related to her mother’s death and high school, while building a new identity with her half-sister, Taffy, and a reanimated Victorian corpse.

While Spouse does not have many lines aside until the conclusion, his lack of words does not limit his acting. His expressions, hand gestures, and body language create a caring and protective character. 

The combination of Newton and Sprouse’s talents brings a seamless comedy to the movie. With just a look between the two, each scene flows naturally. While the other characters are scared or uncomfortable, Newton and Sprouse share a laugh.

While the movie may go over younger viewers’ heads, with an older audience, it hits its target. Overall, Lisa Frankenstein is a good mix of comedy, romance, and brief elements of horror.