true value evey

Fans still hunger for dystopias

BY ALLISON KOERBEL
Design Editor

Whether people realize it or not, the entertainment industry is based on a series of phases. Once a theme is discovered to be popular, it begins to show up in books, movies, and TV shows.

Back in 2008, the release of the movie Twilight sparked the crazed vampire obsession every teenage girl seemed to have. Based on the book series by Stephanie Meyer, the constant battle of Team Edward vs. Team Jacob kept the book series a constant conversation topic for years.

A parody of the movie was even released in theaters in 2009 called Vampires Suck, making fun of the plot line and the whole “vampire” concept.

The Twilight Saga has made over $5 billion on the movies alone, with the sales decreasing for each movie. Although the TV series The Vampire Diaries may still be popular, if a fifth movie were to be made, it would be highly unsuccessful.

However, within the last few years, a new phase has surfaced: teen dystopias.

Through the popularity of The Hunger Games and Divergent, this genre is taking readers and movie-watchers to a new world, and frankly a world no one would ever want to visit.

The outrageous scenarios of corrupted government leaders are a common theme throughout these novels, which are now also movies. Examples such as mandatory operations to erase feelings in Divergent and casually watching teens fight to their death in The Hunger Games  create exciting storylines that keep the viewer in suspense. These dark, grim, and dreary novels, which were originally created for young adults, are now attracting all ages and becoming the next phase in media.

But critics question if this dystopian craze will last throughout the last Hunger Games movie, Mockingjay Part II. By the time Breaking Dawn Part II was released, Twilight fans were over the trend and ready for something new. So what will be the next new phase in media? Only time will tell.