Gormley

‘Realismo Magico’ introduces Spanish alternative music to wider audience

Spanish+musician+Carlo+Sadness+puts+the+little-known+genre+of+Spanish+alternative+music+on+the+map+with+his+new+album%2C+Realismo+Magico.+Photo+via+Wikimedia+Commons+courtesy+of+Santamarcanda.+
Spanish musician Carlo Sadness puts the little-known genre of Spanish alternative music on the map with his new album, Realismo Magico. Photo via Wikimedia Commons courtesy of Santamarcanda.

Spanish musician Carlo Sadness puts the little-known genre of Spanish alternative music on the map with his new album, Realismo Magico.

Having made his debut 12 years ago, Sadness is very much deserving of more recognition.

In “Big Bang” there is a melancholy sounding mixture of both acoustic and electric guitars. These attributes, paired with the soft vocals, produce an eloquently produced fixture. 

Then “Feliz Feliz, ” which translates to “Happy Happy,” has an upbeat and groovy tempo. There are also integrations of electric guitar ad-libs complementing the cheerful vibe of the song. 

In “Fantasma Bueno,” which translates to “good ghost,” there are nice utilizations of an electric sounding rhythm, coupled with a heavy beat. 

“Pequeño Amor,” which means “small love,” features one of his many guest artists, Carla Morrison. Their vocals complement one another, as her soprano voice blends with his tenor voice. The heavy instrumentals further contribute to the emotional assurgence of the piece. 

Overall, Realismo Magico, is a great introduction into the genre of Spanish alternative music. It is an album full of diverse sounds, showing this artist’s range.