Elizabeth seton

Essential Listening: Grace mixes funk, pop on ‘Lovesick’

Grace, a rising pop-funk star from Nashville, has taken inspiration from artists like Reneé Rapp and Chappell Roan to join the category of growing lesbian pop stars. Photo via DUETTI.

Tired of your Spotify playlists? The Purbalite is here to help with our Essential Listening series.

Molly Grace has begun to receive attention on social media, specifically TikTok, from videos she shares with the caption “POV you’re at a Molly Grace concert.” 

These videos have racked up a lot of views in recent months in the wake of her Lovesick Tour in March, which focused on her most recent album, Lovesick.

Grace, a rising pop-funk star from Nashville, has taken inspiration from artists like Reneé Rapp and Chappell Roan to join the category of growing lesbian pop stars. 

She has a brilliant way of blending modern pop with funk and disco to create timeless music. An upbeat pace and a trio of backup performers added to her live performances and recorded songs.

Her two most popular songs, “Lover (Love Her)” and “Lady Lady” showcase Grace’s authentic joy from her first relationships with women.

“Lover (Lover Her)” focuses on her first time dating a woman. It has a jazzy tempo and lyrics that play on the title. With how quickly Grace sings, she is able to interchange the lyrics “lover” and “love her,” creating a playful tone.

“Lady Lady” has similar instrumentation, but the lyrics compare Grace’s past relationships with men to her more recent ones with women. When she sings the song live, she performs a choreographed dance with her trio backup singers.

Grace creates unique music by blending pop and jazz with songs revolving about her experiences with relationships.