Veronica Sikora

Hozier returns with varying sounds

Photo via Rubyworks Records
Photo via Rubyworks Records

Hozier’s Unheard EP features four new tracks, each distinct from the last. 

The EP starts off with its most anticipated track, “Too Sweet.” The chorus and a few lyrics had been leaked before its official release, building excitement among many TikTok users. 

Although the chorus made it go viral, it is honestly the least interesting part of the song. 

The song excels in storytelling as Hozier paints a doomed-to-fail relationship, and each descriptive and romantic lyric he writes is crushed by the chorus. 

“Too Sweet” is a direct contrast to one of Hozier’s most popular releases, “Work Song,” where he sang, “I’m so full of love I could barely eat / There’s nothing sweeter than my baby.” 

The next track, “Wildflower and Barley,” arguably tops the other songs on the EP. The song is a duet between the perfect pairing of Hozier and Allison Russell. Their voices complement each other and the vibe of the song so well. 

The song as a whole matches well with the theme of the original album it was excluded from, Unreal Unearth. 

“Empire Now” is a bit of a contrast to the other tracks on the EP, with edgier instrumentals and vocals. Overall, the song showcases Hozier’s strong voice and smart lyrical writing in lines like,  “Darling, I wouldn’t sell the world the way that things are turning / If it falls / I would hold on for all it’s worth / The future’s burning so bright, it’s burning.”

The final track, “Fare Well,” closes off the EP in an upbeat way while repeating the lyrics “I’ll be alright.” Although not the best song off of the EP, “Fare Well” is a fun, faster-paced note to leave off on.