True Value

In ‘Abigail,’ a kidnapping leads into a fine vampire movie

The film starts like an average heist movie, and if viewers hadn’t previously seen any of the trailers, they probably wouldn’t even know they were watching a horror movie. Photo courtesy of Universal Pictures.

Universal Pictures’ Abigail turns the genre of vampires right on its head. 

The movie follows a group of bandits who are tasked with kidnapping a young girl named Abigail. The film starts like an average heist movie, and if viewers hadn’t previously seen any of the trailers, they probably wouldn’t even know they were watching a horror movie. 

But by the time the film is less than half over, the true nature of the supposed victim is clear. The girl is actually a ballerina vampire, and the movie turns into a game of cat and mouse between Abigail and her captors. 

The acting in the movie is good all around, specifically from Alisha Weir, who plays  Abigail. Not only is her acting fantastic, but her dance sequences are visually captivating. It is hard for adults to play engaging villains, let alone a child, so her performance is impressive. 

One of the characters who kidnaps Abigail is played by Melissa Barrera, who is known for her role in the Scream franchise. Her talent is showcased in the film, and this just further cements her as a modern scream queen. 

Overall, this is an entertaining production. For a year that has had sub-par horror so far, this is a refreshing breath of life for the genre.