K&G Auto Service

Essential Listening: Dolly’s first record set the tone for her career

Dolly Parton’s debut album has themes that carry on to her later works. Photo courtesy of Dolly Parton.

Tired of your Spotify playlists? The Purbalite is here to help with our Essential Listening series.

Most music fans have heard the hits such as “Jolene” and “I Will Always Love You,” but there is more to Dolly than a few pretty love songs. 

Dolly Parton is a world famous country pop star, renowned for her bright blonde hair and decades-long career. She is a versatile musician with the ability to stay relevant after more than 50 years in the business. But not everyone has heard where she originally came from. 

Dolly Parton’s 1967 debut album, Hello, I’m Dolly, has many gems that are far from the mainstream. 

The album has many female-focused themes. The opening track, “Dumb Blonde,” starts strong with its lyrics, “Just because I’m blonde / Don’t think I’m dumb / ’Cause this dumb blonde ain’t nobody’s fool.”

The second song on the album, “Your Ole Handy Man,” tells the story of a woman who is tired of doing everything for her lazy husband.

The whole album is hit after hit, offering simple rhythms mixed with witty wordplay to create catchy, memorable songs.

In a time that was so dominated by men, Dolly’s debut album was revolutionary for women in the music business, and women’s lives overall.