After 14 Grubers, the end is near

Alex Butelli

BY ALEX BUTELLI
Features Editor

Every year for the past 23 years, a member of the Gruber family has been a student at Baldwin High School. That amazing streak comes to an end this year when senior Tony Gruber graduates as the last sibling of 14.
It has been a remarkable run: In 2005, there was a Gruber in each grade level at the high school. Tony was just born as his oldest brother, Tom, was graduating high school.
As a result of coming from such a large and well-known family, Tony has had the privilege of being immediately recognized by almost all of his teachers.
On his first day of high school, Tony said, math teacher Tom Simcho knew who he was and jokingly asked whether or not he would be the last one.
Physics teacher Dave Spahr and retired physics teacher Dave Vandermeer held a longtime competition in regards to the last Gruber.
“When Tony was born, we got the news. A Gruber was in my class at the time,” Spahr said.
Spahr and Vandermeer both made an attempt to outlast the Grubers.
Spahr asked Joey Gruber during physics in 2004: “Do you think Mr. Vandermeer or I will be here when the last Gruber goes through?” Evidently, Spahr wins.

Physics teacher Beth Giles said while there have been common characteristics among the Grubers, each has had distinct personalities.
“Some were quiet and very studious — Anna stands out there in that respect. Some were very outgoing and jokesters — Mark stands out there. … But all of them were really nice kids, and I think that says something about the family as a whole,” Giles said.
Once Tony made it to high school in 2012, he made a priority out of seeking out his siblings.
Three different Grubers were in high school in his freshman year: Tony, Marie, and Jake.
“Every time I saw my siblings in the halls, I would try to embarrass them in front of their friends,” Tony said.
All of the Grubers have challenged themselves academically and taken honors and Advanced Placement courses.
AP English teacher Dr. Lisa Klein has taught many of the Gruber brothers and sisters, but not Tony.
“I am so disheartened that I do not have the last of the Grubers. I feel robbed,” Klein said.
Klein praised the legacy all Grubers have left at Baldwin.
“Their parents should write a book on how to raise children properly. The world would definitely be a much better place,” Klein said.
Class of 2013 graduate Jake Gruber said all the children know the family’s high expectations.
“In everything you do, you represent Gruber,” Jake said.
Some mothers might consider 14 children an unthinkable concept, but Mimi Gruber said having all of her children has been a blessing.
“God gave them one by one and the grace to care for each and love each one,” Mimi said.
But after several decades of having high schoolers in the house, Mimi also has perhaps a more expected response: “Hallelujah! Done!”

Tom 1997

Tom- Class of 1997

Anna 1999

Anna- Class of 1999

Mark 2000

Mark- Class of 2000

Fred 2002

Fred- Class of 2002

Tim 2003

Tim- Class of 2003

Joey 2005

Joey- Class of 2005

Jonathan 2006

Jonathan- Class of 2006

PJ 2007

P.J.- Class of 2007

Larry 2008

Larry- Class of 2008

Emily 10

Emily- Class of 2010

Dan 2012

Dan- Class of 2012

Jake 2013

Jake- Class of 2013

Marie 2014

Marie- Class of 2014

Tony Gruber 2016

Tony- Class of 2016