True Value

Essential Listening: Chappell Roan’s music gets well deserved recognition

Photo via Amusement Records
Photo via Amusement Records

Tired of your Spotify playlists? The Purbalite is here to help with our Essential Listening series.

Chappell Roan, a rising pop artist, has grown in popularity with the release of her first album, The Rise and Fall of a Midwest Princess

The 2023 album has become popular across social media, with many people dancing to “Hot to Go” which Roan choreographed and performs at her concerts. The dance spells out the song title in a similar fashion to the “YMCA” dance.

The song features an upbeat tempo and lyrics that Roan says she wrote so she “could live out (her) cheerleader fantasy.”

Although “Hot to Go” was Roan’s first viral song, “Red Wine Supernova” has become the most popular song on the album, with over 43 million streams. There is no specific dance to accompany this song. But with lyrics focusing on a night out with friends, many fans find it relatable and fun to sing along to.

Roan has also recently released a single titled “Good Luck, Babe,” which quickly has risen to be her most streamed song.

With Roan’s priority being to write songs that are fun to sing and perform with a crowd, her Rise and Fall of a Midwest Princess tour has become increasingly popular, especially for newer fans.