True Value

True Value

Essential Listening: Curry’s ‘See Your Future’ offers self-reflection

Melt My Eyez See Your Future uses metaphors to portray Currys thoughts. Photo via Loma Vista Recordings.
“Melt My Eyez See Your Future” uses metaphors to portray Curry’s thoughts. Photo via Loma Vista Recordings.

Melt My Eyez See Your Future is a metaphorical 2022 album by hip hop artist Denzel Curry in which he articulates his state of mind in a calming but chaotic manner.

His previous albums had production that allowed him to gravitate towards rougher vocals. But on this album he digs deep into his personal struggles. The opening track, “Melt Session #1,” is mellow and relaxing, but the lyrics are very deep and personal. 

The album title urges people to break through the difficulties of their day-to-day lives, acknowledging their flaws and focusing on what is ahead of them. 

The production is a great example of how software production is more versatile than live production. This type of production can adjust according to the artist, not the other way around, which fits Curry’s style very well.

Curry’s flow, delivery, and complexity are matched with beats produced by artists such as Thundercat, JPEGMafia, and Kenny Beats.

Curry shows his versatility with the last track, “The Ills,” in which he raps about his lack of self control and bottling up his emotions. He does this over a piano loop and hard-hitting snares with pitch bends.

Curry’s lyricism is outstanding, especially on lines like, “All of these cycles that get recycled / makin’ it stifle while I stunt” on the track “Walkin.” 

Overall, Curry delivers an album with a completely unexpected approach, but he does a great job executing it. His ability to weave in and out of different kinds of beats, changing his flow with almost every song and showing off his power as a rapper.