SparkleGirlsCleaning

SparkleGirlsCleaning

Essential Listening: Alpert serves up ‘delightful’ brass sound

Whipped Cream and Other Delights is an instrumental album by Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass. Photo via A&M Records.
‘Whipped Cream and Other Delights’ is an instrumental album by Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass. Photo via A&M Records.

Tired of your Spotify playlists? The Purbalite is here to help with our Essential Listening series. 

Although the jazz music of the ’50s and ’60s has faded out of pop culture, there are a few albums that have stood the test of time. 

One such album is the instrumental Whipped Cream & Other Delights by Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass Band, released in 1965. As the title of the album implies, most of the tracks have titles that deal with food, such as “Tangerine,” “Lemon Tree,” and “Peanuts.” With no lyrics, it is easier to listen to and enjoy the melodies and harmonies in the songs. 

The TJB’s fourth album is gold-certified with over 6 million copies sold. The iconic album cover features model Dolores Erickson covered in whipped cream, with a green background. Whipped Cream was number one in 1966, selling more albums than the Rolling Stones, Frank Sinatra, or The Beatles. 

Alpert, who also co-founded A&M Records, used the trumpet as his primary instrument. Alpert’s touring version of the TJB consisted of John Pisano (guitar), Bob Edmondson (trombone), Nick Ceroli (drums), Pat Senatore (bass), Tonni Kalash (trumpet), and Lou Pagani (piano).

The band switched from primarily Latin music for this record, incorporating pop covers by Alpert’s brass band. However, tracks like “El Garbanzo” and “Bittersweet Samba” still have Latin-inspired undertones. 

The title track, “Whipped Cream,” was used in the original Shrek movie, when the mirror shows the possible suitors for Lord Farquaad. The upbeat notes make it a fun track to groove to. “Whipped Cream” and another single, “Lollipops and Roses,” were also featured on the ABC-TV show The Dating Game.

Ladyfingers” is a ballad with several slow percussion parts. The trumpet melodies make it a pretty and calming track. The song also jumps between different brass instruments and has a nice contrast before returning to the main theme in the song. 

The upbeat “Butterball” has a more whimsical and playful feel. It is a fun listen that is very danceable. Also on the more upbeat side are “Tangerine” and “Peanuts,” both with memorable melodies. 

Love Potion No. 9,” a cover of a song written in 1959 and made popular by The Clovers, has a swing feel. It is stylistically different from some of the other songs on the album, showing the band’s versatility. 

Although the record doesn’t contain any lyrics, the music on Whipped Cream and Other Delights speaks for itself, and it is still a tremendous album almost 60 years later. 

View Comments (2)