Farm Honey

Policy on attendance takes no excuses

BY VAISHALI TOURANI
Staff Writer

Students who fail to bring in an excuse for an absence in three days will get a zero on all work they missed, under the newly revised attendance policy.

“The state of Pennsylvania requires schools to focus on the matter of attendance, which is one of the motives for the new policy,” Assistant Principal John Saras said. “The policy extends district-wide, with a collective effort being made by guidance, administration, and teachers.”

But the new rule is not popular with students.

“The grading aspect is what I don’t agree with. It’s easy to forget to bring in an excuse,” senior Mark Demore said.

Senior Jake Proto agreed.

“I hate it. I think it’s a far cry from what they’re trying to achieve and it’s causing worse results than they intended,” Proto said. “It’s only giving students a reason to test it.”

Principal Walter Graves, however, said the policy sends the message that attendance is important.

“We have to adhere to the department of education and the state, so I do think it’s fair. If we waver from the policy, we would be sending mixed messages,” Graves said.

In another change, instead of an attendance warning letter being sent home after nine tardies or absences, school directors have now changed this number to six absences or five tardies.

After that, an attendance warning letter will be sent home. After 10 excused or unexcused absences or tardies, a medical letter will be sent home, requiring a doctor’s note for each additional absence or tardy. Exceptions to this policy include long illnesses, such as mono.

At this point, a student is on social probation. When a student is on social probation, he or she can be forbidden to attend dances or participate in extracurricular activities.

After these warnings have been given, and there has been failure to provide valid medical excuses, or the student has been absent or late another three times, an unlawful absence letter will be sent home.

The school will work with the parent or guardian to establish a plan to get the student back on track with attendance and academics, Assistant Principal Heather Hibner said.

Last year, some of those who were on social probation made an effort to meet with one of the administrators to get themselves back on track, while others felt it would be of no use to do so.

Student reaction to the attendance revisions has been mixed.

“I was out for over 10 days, and I sent them a doctor’s note,” senior Angela Tozzi said. “They told me that I needed to get a doctor’s note for every day I was out after the 10-day mark. I just think it’s unfair.”

While Demore disagrees with students getting a zero if they forget an excuse, he said other parts of the policy made sense.

“As for the other aspects, I don’t think they’re too unreasonable,” Demore said.