Elizabeth seton

Student Ambassador program makes connections

Katie Fillipih
A meeting between student ambassadors and new students was held at the Baldwin Bean

When she transferred into Baldwin earlier this year, sophomore Avarie Shawley had the usual concerns of a new student: how to find her classes and who she would sit with at lunch. 

Baldwin’s new Student Ambassador program provided answers and support.

“On my first day I wasn’t sure what I was going to do, but then I got to see my student ambassador, and she showed me to all of my classes,” Shawley said.

Her ambassador also gave her their phone number to keep in touch. The best part of the experience, Shawley said, was being introduced to her ambassador’s friends.

“And I have had someone to sit with every day at lunch since,” Shawley said.

The Student Ambassador program pairs new students with current students to ease their transition to a new school. The ambassadors give new students a tour of the school and offer them help when they need it. They begin to work with new students on their first day of school. 

Assistant Principal Denise Wells decided to start the program this year to help new students connect and form friendships with current students. She worked with counselors Morgan Tremblay, Julie Sumper, and Kaitlyn Figurelli on the project.

“Our intention was to seamlessly bridge the gap between newcomers entering BHS and those already familiar with the school,” Wells said. 

The program recently held its meeting of ambassadors and new students in the Baldwin Bean, to provide another opportunity for them to get to know each other.

“The goal is to meet like once a month and maybe bring more new kids in,” Wells said. 

Sophomore Laila Goe, who serves as an ambassador, thinks the program will make a positive change for new students, making their first days at Baldwin less stressful.

“Usually when a new student comes in … they walk you through your schedule and then set you free,” Goe said.

Now, it’s a fellow student helping newcomers get settled. 

“It’s generally less stressful than having a counselor do it when it’s a fellow student,” Goe said.

Senior Mikalah Beardsley was interested in being an ambassador because she wanted to make a difference in the school community.  

“I chose to be in the program to help new students become more involved in the school,” Beardsley said. 

Beardsley hopes that the program will help new students make connections that can benefit them throughout their high school careers.

“It will include more students in the school community and not just isolate them,” Beardsley said.

Senior Haley Nieman agreed and said she also benefited from being part of the program and helping fellow students.

“Not only have I gotten better at connecting with people, but I have met some amazing students who I probably would not have met otherwise,” Nieman said.