Subzero

Women’s Final Four to showcase key individual matchups

Caitlin Clark is Iowas star player, with her accurate shooting and assists to her teammates.CaitlinClarkBigTen by John Mac is licensed under CC BY-SA 2.0 DEED
johnmac
Caitlin Clark is Iowa’s star player, with her accurate shooting and assists to her teammates.CaitlinClarkBigTen by John Mac is licensed under CC BY-SA 2.0 DEED

An unpredictable tournament heads to the finish line as the women’s Final Four games happen today, featuring NC State, South Carolina, UConn, and Iowa. 

NC State has been a surprising team that has been successful and defeated some great teams, like Stanford. 

This team has talented shooters and has determination every game, which is important for tournament matchups like these, where anything is possible. They are also talented in defending and they are good at holding their opponents from going on long scoring runs.

NC State has good height on the team, with over half of their players being 6 feet or taller. Their forwards play great defense in the paint, which provides an advantage over competitors who usually drive into the paint.

They will face South Carolina, which has been a consensus pick to reach the Final Four due to their undefeated season. They have yet to lose a game and they most likely won’t stop at the Final Four. 

South Carolina has not faced much great competition since March Madness started, but previously in section games, they beat LSU, which is a talented team. During that game, LSU player Angel Reese and SC player Kamilla Cardoso were battling in the paint. 

The match-up between forwards on both teams in this Final Four game will definitely determine the pace of the game and how each team puts points up on the board.

UConn has been the underdog of this whole tournament. Paige Bueckers and Nika Muhl have been scoring efficiently and had an overall great season after both players faced injuries in previous seasons. 

UConn recently beat a talented team, USC, with freshman guard Juju Watkins having a strong season. The Huskies weren’t people’s first pick for the tournament, but they have definitely held their own and their matchup with Iowa will be the game to watch. 

Iowa has been consistent all season long. Caitlin Clark is their star player, with her accurate shooting and assists to her teammates, Kate Martin and Gabbie Marshall, who are great offensively and defensively.

Iowa is definitely a talented team on both offense and defense. 

Both Final Four games are going to be must-watch events and these specific player match-ups are going to be key, especially with Clark and Bueckers having previously played on a 19U USA team together.