Elizabeth seton

Essential Listening: Rolling Stones hit a peak with ‘Let It Bleed’

Rolling Stones classic album is an essential listen for all. Photo via Columbia Records.

Tired of your Spotify playlists? The Purbalite is here to help with our Essential Listening series.

One of the Rolling Stones’ most popular albums, Let It Bleed is an essential listen because of the multiple hit songs on the album. The Stones released the album in 1969 and over the years it has become known as one of the band’s best albums. 

The most popular song on the album is “ Gimme Shelter.” The song was released during the Vietnam War and the message behind the song is that love is just as possible war.  The song is widely recognized as the band’s best song.

The album has other hit songs that are sometimes overshadowed by “Gimme Shelter,” including “You Can’t Always Get What You Want” and “You Got The Silver.”

The first of those songs is great because of its rhythm. The meaning behind the song is that even though people don’t always get what they want, they will find what they need.

“You Got The Silver” is a great song because of the story behind it. The lyrics describe a man confessing his love to the woman that he loves.

All three of these songs tell a great story, which is why all three of these songs are great.

“Gimme Shelter” is definitely the headliner of the album, but “You Can’t Always Get What You Want” and “You Got The Silver” are well worth checking out as well.