Sharpsburg Islands Marina

‘Fruit for Flies’ provides comforting, nostalgic sounds

The Army, The Navy makes music that falls under the indie rock genre. Image courtesy of New Gold Medal Records.

The future of alternative female music is ever expanding, especially with artists like Mitski, Leith Ross, and Ethel Cain rising in popularity. The Army, The Navy uses the opportunities presented to them, musically, to create an ethereal masterpiece with Fruit For Flies

Like Cain, The Army, The Navy takes advantage of haunting vocals in combination with synthesizers and symphonic orchestras. Their latest album is short and sweet, with seven songs lasting 22 minutes, but provides nostalgic and comforting songs. 

The opening track, “Play The Music,” immediately creates an easygoing and heavenly feel that many indie rock artists try, but fail, to replicate. 

Another notorious trend in modern music is poor songwriting and cliched lyrics, but the poetry found in the tracks of Fruit For Flies completely demolishes this expectation. 

Each song on the album has excellently crafted lyricism, but the artists’ writing talent is particularly portrayed in track “Vienna (In Memoriam),” where the lyrics adequately present the song’s deeper meanings surrounding abuse, grief, and troubling thoughts, while it is still able to flow beautifully. 

The album also has repeating themes of abandonment, loss, and insecurity. 

“Alexandra” tastefully exemplifies being in a relationship with a power imbalance, implying that one partner worships the other, whereas the latter minimally cares about the relationship. 

Overall, each track on Fruit For Flies contributes to the enchanting album, which greatly stands out against other modern indie releases, with quality of sound, lyrics, and meaning.