SparkleGirlsCleaning

What to binge watch: Bojack Horseman is a cartoon that makes you think

Bojack Horseman is a cartoon that may seem to be fun-spirited and goofy, but is actually intriguing and makes the viewer think. Courtesy of Tornante Television.
“Bojack Horseman” is a cartoon that may seem to be fun-spirited and goofy, but is actually intriguing and makes the viewer think. Courtesy of Tornante Television.

Running out of TV shows and movies to stream? The Purbalite is here to help, with another installment of our What to Binge Watch feature. 

Many would expect a kitschy Netflix series about a cartoon horse and his animal friends to be a cute, lighthearted watch for all ages, but this is far from the truth with Bojack Horseman

While many modern TV shows desperately attempt to portray mental health and social issues, few do so as well as Bojack Horseman. The show follows the 50-year-old actor, Bojack, during his life after fame. In his prime, Bojack played the main character and father figure in the fictional show Horsin’ Around, where he gained a taste for fame. 

Throughout his time in Hollywood, Bojack has befriended many characters, such as Diane, Princess Carolyn, Todd, and Mr. Peanut Butter, all of whom represent different hardships of life. His interactions with these characters mirror the bad choices he has made throughout his encounters with misfortune. 

Diane, who is arguably Bojack’s closest acquaintance, is a struggling young writer who meets the actor through her affiance with Mr. Peanut Butter, an old Hollywood buddy of Bojack. She is seen by many as a nagging, far-left companion, but in reality, her character represents the failures of the patriarchal society and how women are consistently put down for their emotions. 

Another character who touches on feminist ideas is Princess Carolyn. 

The main premise of her character is that she is controlling and always has the need to have everything together, but she always finds that she can never have control over her own life. As with most characters in the show, the motives behind her actions are revealed through her troubling past. 

At the series’ end, the amounts of loss faced by the characters come to an explosive climax, and the dramatic show is wrapped up perfectly. 

The six seasons that Bojack Horseman spans poetically represent how loss affects people through alcoholism, depression, and crime. The show also tastefully touches on topics such as sexuality, fame, sexism, childhood trauma, and suicide. 

Bojack Horseman definitely has some hilarious writing and episodes, but beyond the surface, it is extremely deep and thought-provoking. 

The main premise of the show is to highlight that no one is, truly, good. This motif is hidden through symbolism and dynamic characters, and the show can be dissected over and over again, with different interpretations each time. 

Overall, there is not a single human character flaw in the show that isn’t highlighted, making it incredibly easy for anyone to relate the show to their own life. The show is amazing enough on the surface, but for anyone looking for a provocative series to easily get lost in, Bojack is perfect.