flexible recovery

Essential Listening: ‘Fake It Flowers’ sets Bea’s signature sound

Beabadoobees album Fake It Flowers offers classic sound and enjoyable rhythm. 
Photo courtesy Store.dirtyhit.co.uk.
Beabadoobee’s album “Fake It Flowers” offers classic sound and enjoyable rhythm. Photo courtesy Store.dirtyhit.co.uk.

Tired of your Spotify playlists? The Purbalite is here to help with our Essential Listening series.

Beabadoobee’s album 2020 Fake it Flowers, is less popular than her other indie albums, but it deserves much more recognition. 

The album has a ’90s grunge vibe that brings a different sound to the modern alternative genre. While Fake It Flowers isn’t her first album, it sets up her signature sound.

Bea pairs soft vocals and well developed lyrics with somewhat chaotic instrumentals. At times the “rock” sound to Fake It Flowers seems to be overdone. 

The album does, however, showcase Bea’s soft-spoken and angelic voice. Her standout vocals and range set her apart from other female indie musicians. 

Notable songs include “Dye It Red” as well as “Emo Song” with both having strong and meaningful lyrics. “Further Away” lacks unique sound, but leaves a strong and relevant message to it. a

Many of Bea’s songs speak about letting go of old things, moving on and learning to find happiness. The album has many up and down emotions but remains focused on the same message. 

Indie listeners should give Fake It Flowers a listen for a rollercoaster ride of emotions and many different instrumentals.