Diamond in the Ruff

‘Lift’ keeps viewers guessing

Recently+released+film%2C+Lift%2C+features+actor+Kevin+Hart+taking+on+a+role+outside+of+comedy.+Courtesy+of+Netflix+
Recently released film, ‘Lift,’ features actor Kevin Hart taking on a role outside of comedy. Courtesy of Netflix

The new Netflix movie Lift lets actor Kevin Hart showcase his more serious side.

Hart stars as Cyrus, who works with a team of thieves to steal various art pieces and sell them on the black market. But the law enforcement agency Interpol has caught Cyrus and has enough evidence to lock up everyone in his group. 

So the Interpol officers use this as leverage to get Cyrus and his team to catch well-known billionaire Lars Jorgenson (Jean Reno), who intends to make a fortune by working with a 

hacking group called Leviathan to stage a massive flooding in Europe.

Leviathan only takes payments with gold bullion because it is untraceable. So Interpol wants Cyrus and his team to steal the gold from a commercial airliner heading to Zurich from Jorgenson’s vault in London. Cyrus agrees to pull off the stunt, but only if Agent Abby Gladwell (Gugu Mbatha-Raw), his former fling, agrees to work with them. 

Hart is well known for his comedy roles, so seeing him take on a more serious role in this movie might surprise his fans. But Hart does an exceedingly good job of conveying his character and should be considered for more serious roles in the future. Still, he should also continue his comedy career because that is why most of his fans like him. 

The plot of this movie is strong. The events unfold in order and do not flash back to previous events, which makes the plot easy to follow for people who lose interest in films easily. 

The movie is filled with great action scenes and keeps viewers guessing. Overall, this is a gem of a film.