three rivers

‘Dunki’ offers emotional look at illegal immigration

Dunki is a 2023 comedy/drama about illegal immigration.
‘Dunki’ is a 2023 comedy/drama about illegal immigration.

The new Bollywood dramatic comedy Dunki presents an emotional look at illegal immigration.

Dunki follows Manu Randhawa, played by Taapsee Pannu, and her group of friends, who all wish to immigrate to London for a chance at a better life. They are unable to get a visa despite many attempts to obtain one.

One day, Hardayal “Hardy” Singh, played by Shah Rukh Khan, arrives at Randhawa’s house to return the personal belongings of her brother, Mahinder. Singh then finds out that Mahinder had died in an accident and decides to help Randhawa’s family in their poor financial circumstances.

Singh promises to help Randhawa reach London by having her take an International English Language Testing System class, which could help her and her friends get a UK student visa. 

With new problems always arising for the group, they are unable to get their visas, which leads them to take the “Dunki” route – an illegal immigration technique that involves multiple stops elsewhere before sneaking into the desired country.

Overall, the movie has an exciting but easily understandable plot that could interest the audience. 

Khan and Pannu do a great job with their characters. They express their characters’ emotions well, allowing the audience to absorb all the plot developments. 

People who don’t like emotional films may not enjoy this one. But for everyone else, the movie is a must-watch.