Portraits by Kathi

New ‘Extended Family’ series off to a great start

Extended Family showcases how the reveal of a family secret sends shock waves through an already dysfunctional family. Photo courtesy NBC.
“Extended Family” showcases how the reveal of a family secret sends shock waves through an already dysfunctional family. Photo courtesy NBC.

NBC’s newest family sitcom, Extended Family, should earn an extended run on the network and its Peacock app.

The series features Jon Cryer, who plays Jim in the show and who played Lux Luthor in Arrow and The Flash, as well as Donald Faison, who plays Trey in the show and who played Dr. Christopher Turk in Scrubs and Murray in Clueless. The series takes place in Boston, where Jim is close with his ex-wife, Julia, played as Abigail Spencer, and her new fiance, Trey. 

Jim occasionally visits Julia, Trey, and his two kids – Jimmy Jr., played by Finn Sweeney, and Grace, played by Sofia Capanna.

The first three episodes of this series have aired, and the first and the third episodes are must-watch. The first episode introduces the family and has them co-parenting as a trio. Jim kills Grace’s goldfish, which results in him seeking help from Trey and Julia.

The third episode shows Jimmy Jr. addicted to a video game and Grace not studying trigonometry while Julia is on a work trip. Jim believes it is okay, while Julia thinks otherwise once she returns. Many funny moments in this episode make it stand out.

With its clever moments and great acting, this is one of the best new shows on TV, and it hopefully will be back for plenty of seasons.