Rodgers receives Silent Servant Award for volunteer work

Senior+Abby+Rodgers+recently+received+the+Peter+R.+Marsh+Foundation+Silent+Servant+Award%2C+which+is+given+to+students+who+serve+their+communities+through+volunteer+work.+

Photo by Evelyn Esek

Senior Abby Rodgers recently received the Peter R. Marsh Foundation Silent Servant Award, which is given to students who serve their communities through volunteer work.

Evelyn Esek and Mandy Wu

When senior Abby Rodgers helped run the free formal wear shop in October that the high school sponsored for homecoming, she helped a boy find a jacket to wear, and he was so happy he had tears in his eyes. 

“That was just one of the students. There were so many students who were impacted” by that shop, Rodgers said. “It showed me why I did it, and why I like to put in that time.”

Because of her selflessness in this project and many others, Rodgers recently received the Peter R. Marsh Foundation Silent Servant Award, which is given to students who serve their communities through volunteer work. She was nominated by social studies teacher Christopher Reilsono and Supt. Dr. Randal Lutz. 

“It was my pleasure to recognize Abby for her work,” Lutz said, “She epitomizes the notion of doing the right thing, for the right reasons, even when no one is watching.” 

Reilsono also feels that Rodgers stands out and was proud to nominate her for the award. 

I could not think of an individual more deserving (of this award), and hope this demonstrates how her efforts positively contribute to the world around her.

— Reilsono

“I could not think of an individual more deserving (of this award), and hope this demonstrates how her efforts positively contribute to the world around her,” Reilsono said. 

Rodgers volunteers with a local nonprofit, Community Clothes Exchange, the organization that the high school partnered with for the formal wear shop. Social studies teacher Natalie Grattan, who also helps with the Community Clothes Exchange, helped sponsor the formal wear shop and got to know Rodgers well while working with her. 

“Abby is just not a standout in the classroom but outside the classroom as well,” Grattan said. “She goes above and beyond for others truly to help, not for recognition.” 

The clothing shop was just one of the many activities Rodgers participates in. She helps with Special Olympics and Best Buddies. She also spends her free time outside of school volunteering with various organizations to help people. 

Rodgers works closely with the Rollettes Experience in Los Angeles, which is an event that helps empower women who use wheelchairs. The Rollettes women come from different countries and speak different languages, and Rodgers helps break language barriers and help shy women. She also learns about people’s individual strengths and challenges. 

“I love meeting new people,” she said. “It’s cool to see their perspective, and it’s cool to learn through others,” she said. 

Rodgers’ sister, Brianna Rodgers, has spina bifida and uses a wheelchair, and she is a participant in the Rollettes Experience. 

“She understands what people in wheelchairs go through, and she helps them out with their struggles,” Brianna Rodgers said. 

Rodgers also volunteers with the Miracle League, a South Hills-based special needs baseball team. She partners with Brianna and helps her play and hit the ball.

“I know of many people who need the help. The fact that I can give it, I would do anything for that, just to help others,” Rodgers said.  

Grattan agrees, saying that working with Rodgers was a delightful experience.

“She works really hard at making sure everyone is included and goes out of her way to make someone else’s day a little brighter,” Grattan said. 

Rodgers is currently in several AP classes and is in NHS, and she plans on attending college to study neuroscience. 

“Abby truly has a limitless potential and I have no doubt she will continue to be an impressive force to make this world a better place,” Reilsono said.