South Hills Interfaith Movement

Hagan heads Young Marines

BY KATIE ZEMAITIS
Staff Writer

Practicing leadership, teamwork, and discipline have paid off for senior Garrett Hagan, who placed first in Pennsylvania and second in the northeast region for his involvement in the Young Marines program.
The goal of the Young Marines program is to promote mental, moral, and physical development in its members. They focus on the principles of honesty, fairness, courage, respect, loyalty, dependability, and promotion of physical fitness.
“I became more respectful, responsible, and grew up more,” Hagan said regarding the program’s impact.
Hagan has been a part of this program for nine years. When he was younger he was interested in flying. His grandmother saw an ad in the paper for the Young Marines and suggested he join.
“It’s like a militarized Boy Scouts,” Hagan said.
He went through a lengthy selection process to achieve his status of the top Young Marine in the state and the number two in the Northeast.
“He did strive hard to reach this goal during his years in the program,” Joyce Bailey, the adjutant of Hagan’s unit, said.
Hagan was also chosen by the battalion and regimental commander to represent the Washington County Young Marines as the Young Marine of the Year.
“It’s because of his hard work and dedication at the time to the Young Marine program and attending all the leadership schools,” Bailey said.
Since the program is set up like the Marine Corps, Hagan has gained a leadership position. He has been in charge of his unit since he was 10 years old.
He is the platoon sergeant and leads 37 Young Marines in his unit. Hagan runs the daily operation of the unit from an administrative viewpoint. He deals with finances and planning.
“I believe they look up to him as a role model because of his leadership and his goals within the program,” Bailey said.
One of the pillars of the Young Marine program is to lead a positive, drug-free lifestyle.
Members participate in community projects and events that focus on reducing and eliminating drug abuse by youth.
“I love the opportunities that the program offers, and how prestigious the positions can be,” Hagan said.
Hagan finds inspiration through a fellow Young Marine whom he’s known for years.
His friend, Keaton Meerdo, got into a car accident two years ago and became paralyzed.
He still comes to all the events and remains motivated despite what has happened to him.
“It inspires me to continue with the program,” Hagan said.
Hagan hopes to enter the Naval Academy after he graduates.