J.A.J.

Bernotas sisters boost each other on the court

Ethan Stock
Sophomore Laci Bernotas and freshman Lynsey Bernotas start for Baldwin girls basketball

After playing basketball together for their entire careers, Laci and Lynsey Bernotas are taking their chemistry to the next level this season. 

Laci Bernotas is a sophomore guard for the Highlanders. She said playing with her sister gives her more confidence during games.

“Playing with my sister allows me to have a different comfort zone and level of trust, because I know her as a player and what she can accomplish and bring to this team,” Laci said. “She also pushes me to be a better player.”

Lynsey Bernotas, meanwhile, is playing for the varsity team as a freshman. She plays guard and averages 12 points per game. 

The girls said that having family on the court with them makes a crucial difference. 

“Having someone not only push you to be your best, but tell you when you need to step up and be honest is better. The connection we have with each other makes me love the game more,” Laci said.

The sisters support each other and share a bond that helps them both play well. 

“In the Upper St. Clair game she did really well. Her shots were on point and she really helped the team,” Lynsey said of her sister. 

Senior point guard Katie Lucarelli recognizes the power of the family connection,

“You can really see it in how they play. They work so well together because they know each other’s game more than anyone else,” Lucarelli said. 

Being teammates also strengthens their bond.

“I feel like it brings me and my sister closer,” Lynsey said. 

The girls have been around basketball their entire life, with their older sister playing and their dad being a huge basketball fan. 

“Basketball definitely runs in our family. All three of my sisters and I had played basketball our whole lives, and my oldest sister played in college after she finished her career here at Baldwin,” Laci said. The sisters hope that their youngest sister will carry on their legacy at Baldwin after they graduate. 

Like her older sister, Lynsey fell in love with basketball at a young age. 

“When I was young I really got into it and really liked it. It was pretty natural, almost like a second nature” Lynsey said. 

Today, Lynsey Bernotas is known for her play-making ability.

“She’s the best at dragging to the basket and finishing,” junior Rebecca Knight said. 

Lynsey is described by her teammates as a helpful and supportive team player.

“She’s a very supportive teammate. She tries not to yell when someone messes up,” Knight said. 

Both sisters are in the starting five for the Highlanders, pointing toward a bright future for them and the program. Although the girls team isn’t having a strong year, the sisters are playing quite well. 

“It is very impressive to see such a talented family. I love playing with them and can’t wait to see where they can take this program,” Lucarelli said.