Modern Magnolia

Wyse, Mezeivtch follow different paths to cross country success

Senior Grace Wyse came to cross country late, while senior Mallory Mezeivtch returned after an absence, but both have enjoyed strong seasons. 

After quitting basketball last year due to a loss of love for the sport, Mezeivtch felt it was time to get back to running after a two-year break. 

“I was nervous about juggling two sports and a new school my freshmen year,” Mezeivtch said, explaining why she originally stepped away from running. 

The team welcomed Mezeivtch back and encouraged her to pick up where she left off. Mezeivtch trained hard to get back into her running routine, and her efforts were noticed by her teammates, Wyse said.

“Her leadership definitely keeps everyone on task and motivated to come to practice every day and run races to their full potential,” Wyse said. 

Mezeivtch said her teammates made it easy to transition back into her old sport and improve her times each race. 

“My first race back was definitely difficult, and I didn’t realize how hard it would be. I just had to keep practicing and get back into the groove of running,” Mezeivtch said. 

Even then, though, she had her teammates backing her. 

“It doesn’t matter if you’re first or last on the team. Everyone is still out there supporting you,” Mezeivtch said. 

Mezeivtch makes an effort to return the favor, sophomore Jules Ott said. 

“She’s always pushing everyone to be their best and making an effort to help everyone she can,”  Ott said. 

After all of her hard work, Mezeivtch made it to the WPIALs this year. 

Meanwhile, during her freshman year, Wyse played on the soccer team, but he didn’t feel motivated enough to continue. Knowing that she still wanted to continue being an athlete and stay in shape, Wyse sought out a new sport. 

After seeing how much her brother Zack enjoyed cross country, she decided to try it out herself, Wyse said. Wyse joined the cross-country team in 10th grade but was met with many challenges.

“I wasn’t used to the amount of miles that other people on the team were doing. I was in shape for soccer, but not cross country,” Wyse said.  

Joining later on in her high school years set Wyse back, but it also motivated her to catch up. 

“There were some times when I didn’t think I was good enough for the team. But I pushed myself and have been improving ever since,” Wyse said. 

Mezeivtch recognized Wyse’s hard work and dedication to the sport. 

“Grace is a very hard worker. She is able to push herself and make sure she attends every practice. She is consistent with her running and attendance,” Mezeivtch said. 

As Wyse progresses in her cross-country career, so do her personal goals. Last year, Wyse missed the WPIAL cutoff by one spot, leaving her to be the alternate for the team. 

“I trained for so many months but still didn’t make it to WPIALS,” Wyse said. 

Wyse has improved significantly in the past few years and continues to break her personal records and goals. Although she beat her 24-minute personal record, she did not make it to WPIALs. 

“I always want to make my brother proud of me because he always tries his hardest. He makes me want to run faster and continue to make him proud,” Wyse said. 

Both of the girls add positivity to the team and make it an overall more enjoyable experience for everyone, Ott said.

“My favorite part about running with both of them is the motivational talks they give. They are both amazing. The team won’t be the same without them next year,” Ott said.