J&G plumbing

Winning streak fires up playoff hopes for Pens

The Pittsburgh Penguins have won a total of five Stanley Cup championships. Photo via Wikimedia Commons.

Most Pittsburgh Penguins fans had concluded that the team’s season was over when the Pens traded Jake Guentzel. The team had remained among the bottom spots of the standings for the majority of the season, and the players seemed to be losing confidence with some harsh losses followed by the departure of such a crucial and beloved teammate.

But with their win against the Washington Capitals Thursday night, the Penguins now find themselves just two points out of a wild card playoff spot.

The Metropolitan Division standings have long been notorious for being largely uncertain until late in the season. With the exception of the New York Rangers and Caroline Hurricanes, this has been especially true this season. Teams can move up two spots at a time with just one win. 

The Penguins have just won three major games against three big divisional opponents: the New York Rangers, New Jersey Devils, and Washington Capitals. Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin have been playing exceptionally well, with Crosby acquiring 15 points in his seven most recent games and Malkin picking up speed after an unproductive season.

Alex Nedeljkovic, the Penguins’ backup goalie, has also proved to be a key contributor to the team’s recent success. He has appeared in seven games straight while a sick Tristan Jarry has been out, and has gone five for seven.

With these huge wins, the Penguins could find themselves snagging in a wild-card spot and returning to the playoffs. Their 16-year playoff streak ended last year.

Yet as they have proven many times this season, the Penguins are extremely inconsistent. Their six remaining games this season are must-win, especially their game against Tampa Bay this Saturday and the season finale against the New York Islanders.

With many factors playing into what had been a largely unsuccessful season for the Penguins, these final games could open up an opportunity for them to redeem themselves.