Veronica Sikora

What to Binge Watch: ‘Jury Duty’ guilty of creating laughs

Jury Duty offers a criminally good laugh. Image via Freevee.

Running out of TV shows and movies to stream? The Purbalite is here to help, with another installment of our What to Binge Watch feature. 

At first, a sitcom about jury duty might seem like an awful idea. But the Freevee/Amazon Prime series Jury Duty actually provides many laughs. 

The show follows Ronald Gladden, a real person who is completely oblivious that he is the only non-actor on a fake reality show about jury duty. 

Gladden believes that he is part of a documentary-type film, but everyone else is an actor hired to create a comedic show. Gladden goes through an entire trial believing that the other jurors are completely out of control. 

A unique aspect to Jury Duty is the appearance of actor James Marsden, who previously appeared in Enchanted and The Notebook. He plays along as a stuck-up, egotistical actor. This feature adds so much to the show, because it shows Gladden’s confusion and disappointment with how Marsden’s actions don’t line up with his image. 

A multitude of characters with different backgrounds and personalities play into the act of fooling Gladden. The raw and realistic acting creates a similar feeling to The Office and other sitcoms. 

Not only does the show provide laughs, but it also has a humanizing and heartwarming aspect to it. At points in Jury Duty, the actors are shown doing outlandish things, but Gladden still supports and shows kindness to every juror. 

The plot progresses slowly but gets more chaotic and more confusing for Gladden. The most notable aspect of Jury Duty is the meticulous planning of the plot and its brilliant timing. Jury Duty is a must watch for people who enjoy genuine comedy and are looking for a good laugh.