GiannaVias

Redd’s third project of 2023 no letdown

Each track on Saint Michael is different, offering unique introductions and alternating beats. Photo Via Warner Music Group.

Trippie Redd’s most recent project, Saint Michael, rejuvenates Redd’s trademark style and will evoke nostalgia in many longtime fans. 

Saint Michael, which was a surprise release, brings many fans back to Redd’s Life’s a Trip era, and includes sounds similar to XXXtentacion, whom Redd worked with in 2017. 

While the project serves as a homage to Redd’s earlier work, it still experiments with new styles, and redeems Redd from his previous release, A Love Letter To You 5, which many saw as a flop.

The project being Redd’s third release of 2023 worried many fans with concerns of the artist burning himself out, but Saint Michael is one of his best releases in a while. 

A common complaint about modern rap is repetitive sounds, but each track on Saint Michael is different, offering unique introductions and alternating beats. 

“Ok, Cool” is one of the best tracks on the project, offering a much more energetic beat than many of Redd’s recent songs. This track also starts off with a masterly crafted transition from the previous song. 

Only one of the seven songs contains a feature, which is considerably low compared to Redd’s personal history, along with most modern projects within the modern rap genre. “Saint Michael Myers,” the final track on the project, features Banks, a relatively lesser-known lo-fi producer. 

Overall, Saint Michael stays simple, and offers fans a well crafted and desirable piece of work.