true value evey

Ogrosky brings enthusiasm to drum major role

via Kevin Hutchinson
Senior Lexi Ogrosky talks about her new role as drum major

After three years in the Baldwin marching band, Lexi Ogrosky decided to pursue the band’s top leadership role: lead drum major.

“I just thought it would be a great opportunity to work on my leadership skills,” Ogrosky, a senior, said. “I’m like the mediator between the staff and the students, so I have a lot of responsibility.”

As a drum major, Ogrosky stands on a podium during football games and band competitions, conducting the band and keeping time. According to senior Julianna Lang, who also serves as a drum major, the job suits her well.

“She is a beautiful conductor, a talented musician, and an incredible marcher,” Lang said. “Being drum majors together … has helped us grow closer together and grow to be better musicians.”

The role comes with plenty of responsibility. Ogrosky coordinates between the staff and students, relaying information and setting the pace of rehearsal.

“The drum majors keep the whole band together,” Julia Graham, a color guard section leader, said.

Ogrosky keeps track of four metronomes, and the band alternates among these different time signatures throughout their show. It’s an opportunity she enjoys, however, and encouraging the band is an important part of it.

“It starts at the top … if I encourage them, they’ll be hyped up. So I have to make sure I’m not affected by things out of my control. If I’m in a bad mood, they will be in a bad mood,” Ogrosky said.

For her part, Graham sees Ogrosky’s tenacity as being essential to her success.

“She’s very persistent in what she wants to do,” Graham said. “We have some hard days … but then at the end of practice, she’ll hype us up.”

Lang agreed. 

“She’s really like our hype person. She’s able to bring so much morale and motivation to the band.”

The band is performing How Wonderful Life Is, a show based on music by Elton John. It features a glittery piano and includes songs like “Tiny Dancer,” “Your Song,” and “Don’t Let the Sun Go Down on Me.”

For Ogrosky, performing the show has been a pleasure.

“You work so hard all summer, and you compete against other bands,” she said. “The energy and the vibe after putting your all into something, it’s immaculate.”