Hirt Locker

Student filmmaker enters i5 video competition

BY LAURA HARPER
Staff Writer

Junior Jill Weida created a video about the Baldwin bioswale and has entered it into the i5 video competition.

The purpose of the i5 video competition is to help students interact with STEM technology through filmmaking. The grand prize is $500, with additional winners in various categories.

Weida said she wants to make a career out of filmmaking, and has already looked into a few colleges for that profession.

“I’m not in this to win,” Weida said. “I’m in it for the experience of filmmaking because it’s something I really love.”

The bioswale, contructed in front of the high school leading down to Route 51, aims to reduce stormwater runoff and reduce area flooding. Weida interviewed many people in the community to make her video into a documentary.

“I liked the idea of a documentary because I got to see everyone’s different takes,” she said.

Weida also entered the competition last year with a video about the history of Pittsburgh’s environment and won the prize for most artistic.

Weida’s video is at the site http://youtu.be/DeTshNOd2xl. The contestants with the most “likes” will win.