TWFG

Twitter etiquette: should teens put manners first on social media sites?

Students should #stayclassy
BY JEN YANKO
Staff Writer

Twitter is a great social media site that virtually connects people all around the world. It is a website where people can describe “what’s happening” in their lives with any one of their “followers.” However, what some Twitter members may not realize is that there are some basic rules of etiquette that should be followed.

Even though some may argue that they have a “private” account, there is always a way for someone to reach any account. Given this information, there are some people who do not use appropriate language.  Language may seem as though it is not a big deal due to the fact that Twitter is an informal site; however, more adults, including teachers, and potential bosses, have a Twitter account.

When it comes time to applying for a job, it is legal for the interviewer to check the applicant’s Twitter account without a formal warning. Some may complain that they didn’t get hired due to inappropriate language or inappropriate pictures, such as those featuring with alcohol or drugs, on their profile. Even though some say that it is not a justified reason to not hire someone, the language and personal pictures someone posts does reflect on who someone is as a person.  

Also, there is a fine line between expressing thoughts and giving away too much personal information.  For example, posting someone’s birthday is understandable, but when it comes to the death of someone in the family, many people regard this as disrespectful because they feel as though a social media site is not worthy of representing their lost loved one.

Subtweeting involves someone talking about someone else without directly naming them. Subtweeting can either be harmless if unnoticed or get blown out of proportion if noticed by the “victim.” Either way, subtweeting can be very rude and can also offend the wrong person because the tweet can be very vague.  Subtweeting can be considered cowardly.

To many longtime members of social media, Twitter can be a comfort zone. However, to many who  are not used to the social networks, Twitter can be seen as too close for comfort. Following etiquette is something not many people do but should not be forgotten.

Nice guys will get followed last
BY HELAINA COZZA
Staff Writer

The only thing as prevalent as teenage cell phone usage is complaints about how teens use these devices. A common complaint is that many people abuse social media sites such as Twitter, and they do not properly follow the etiquette that is expected.

Twitter is a network that was not made for etiquette. The sole purpose of Twitter is for people to tweet what they are thinking at a given moment.

Language on this site should not be an issue, yet for some it seems to be. If people choose to curse, it is not a big deal. They can say whatever they want. Twitter is a way of people expressing themselves, and if that includes swearing then that should be fine.

Another issue critics have about Twitter is the way some people tweet details about their personal lives. Some feel that certain things should stay private, but if people are comfortable putting something in a tweet, that is their decision. When someone tweets, they are taking responsibility for what they say. If they feel the need to put something on Twitter to help relieve their feelings, then so be it. People have different ways of expressing their emotions and some find this relief through Twitter.

Though it may seem like a pathetic attack to some, to many, subtweeting can be a form of releasing their anger.

A “subtweet” is when someone tweets about another person, typically saying something negative, without tagging their Twitter account in it. Though it sounds crazy and seems like a foreign concept to those not fully immersed in the young generation, subtweeting can help to relieve certain feelings and get things off someone’s chest.

It has been said that writing things down on paper or a diary can help to calm anger, and Twitter is simply this generation’s form of doing just that.

To “outsiders” or people unfamiliar with social media, it can be appalling to view sites such as Twitter and see how people are using them. However, they do not have an understanding that these sites provide a form of expression for users that is difficult for them to achieve through other outlets.