Sgattoni anchors position at Navy

Arlen Hooks, Staff Writers

Committing to a branch of the military is a big decision to make, especially at age 16. However, senior volleyball phenom Maddi Sgattoni accepted a full scholarship to play at the Naval Academy, last November.
“When I stepped foot on the beautiful campus in Annapolis, I knew it was the place for me,” Sgattoni said.
Sgattoni’s success on the court began back in the fourth grade, when she first played organized volleyball. Her sister Tori, now a sophomore at Slippery Rock University, mentored her and instilled the passion and competitiveness that Sgattoni has used on the court for eight years.
“She taught me to never take a day of practice for granted, so you will always be prepared to showcase your talent at the games,” Sgattoni said.
That talent showed right away as Sgattoni started as a setter and outside hitter on varsity as a freshman. It was a season full of ups and downs, as the team finished with a record of 9-13. But midway through the season Sgattoni was switched to outside hitter, cementing her role as a key member for her next three seasons.
“Starting varsity as a freshman was a tremendous experience, but at the end of that season I still knew I had a lot of work to do for my team and myself,” Sgattoni said.
Sgattoni improved for her sophomore and junior seasons and made the impact she was looking for. She led the volleyball team on the successful quest of back-to-back undefeated WPIAL championships.
Senior teammate Sydney Kaercher has played with Sgattoni in the volleyball program for the past four years. “It has been unbelievable to watch Maddi’s talent these last four years. She is truly a special player,” Kaercher said.
While Sgattoni always maintains a team-first mentality, many individual accolades continue to come with her success. In her high school career, Sgattoni’s favorite two individual awards have been the 2014 WPIAL Triple A Player of the Year, which she won as a sophomore, and the KDKA Extra Effort award, which she won last month for her extraordinary efforts on the court and her 4.22 GPA in the classroom.
Sgattoni’s current volleyball coach and former teacher Adam Foote describes her all-around success as something he “has only seen in a few student athletes throughout my tenure.”
As Sgattoni’s final season comes to an end, people often ask her what she will miss the most when she enters the academy. Keeping in mind her values as well as the military fashion rules, Sgattoni always says: “friends, family, and my hair.”