Farm Honey

Farm Honey

What to Binge Watch: ‘Big Bang Theory’ offers light humor and friendship dynamics

The Big Bang Theory is a series that explores the lives of a group of intelligent friends.
Photo via CBS

Running out of TV shows and movies to stream? The Purbalite is here to help, with another installment of our What to Binge Watch feature.

The Big Bang Theory is a comedic sitcom in which a nerdy group of scientist friends try to figure out quantum physics and real life.

There are 12 seasons in this sitcom, all of which can be streamed on HBO Max. The first season focuses on a waitress and aspiring actress, Penny, who moves across the hall from two nerdy best friends, Leonard Hofstadter and Sheldon Cooper. 

Since the day Penny moves in, she hangs out with Leonard and Sheldon’s group of friends but feels like an outsider in this group of intellectuals. 

The second season goes more into depth about Sheldon’s phobias and how it can be very hard for Leonard to live with an intelligent person who thinks they are never wrong. This conflict between the two roommates also sparks a love story for Leonard and Penny later in season two.

This series is comforting because the group of friends in the show deliver comical lines which make the show fun, silly, and relieving to watch after a hard day. 

It does an astonishing job of depicting what real friendships should look like, while also offering lessons on love, generosity, kindness, and empathy.