Subzero

What to Binge Watch: ‘Futurama’ brings the sarcasm

Futurama by Xeworliebi is licensed under CC BY 2.0 DEED

Running out of TV shows and movies to stream? The Purbalite is here to help, with another installment of our What to Binge Watch feature.

When it comes to animation, there are a lot of options out there. But some stand out more than others. 

Futurama is an animated TV show for adults that follows Philip J. Fry in the year 2999, a thousand years after he was cryogenically frozen in 1999. He finds himself with his long descended grandson – known as “Professor” – and Professor’s space travel company and its workers. 

The show was made by Matt Groening, the creator of The Simpsons, and it aired on Fox from 1999 to 2003 before being picked back up by Comedy Central from 2009 to 2013. After 10 years, it was revived by Hulu for three more seasons in 2023. 

Despite all the drops and pick-ups, the show has a consistent quality throughout. The show is able to combine futuristic ideas and themes while keeping a sarcastic and goofy tone. There are many subplots that are so preposterous that they could only come from a cartoon set 1,000 years in the future. 

There are many characters, and each of them brings a new piece to the show. They include Bender the robot, Leela the one-eyed space captain, and Zoidberg the lobster. 

Beloved by many, Futurama has rightly been a pop culture staple for years.