Mary Margaret Isabella

Gray’s new techno sound disappoints

Conan Gray releases Found Heaven: Photo via Republic Records.
Conan Gray releases “Found Heaven: Photo via Republic Records.

Found Heaven by Conan Gray is completely different from his other albums, but not in a good way. 

Gray is known for his records full of ballads and catchy pop songs, but the vibe has been completely shifted into an ’80s techno sound. 

Gray’s vocals on his new record are mostly deep and low, a large contrast between his other songs filled with high notes. This tone doesn’t seem to fit him or his music. 

The only slower track is “Winner,” a song about yet another relationship failure, a very common theme on the record. 

“Never Ending Song” is probably the worst song in the collection. Even though it is fairly short, it is still too long and hard to listen to. In addition, it has a very similar melody to “Lonely Dancers.” There is no need for two bad techno songs on one album. 

Found Heaven turned out to be a major disappointment for fans of Gray because of its unusual difference in modern pop music.