J.A.J.

J. Cole’s ‘Might Delete Later’ might live down to its title

Image via Dreamville Records.
Image via Dreamville Records.

Rapper J. Cole’s new mixtape, Might Delete Later, will leave fans wondering whether it’s “later” yet. If it isn’t, the production team might not want to leave it open to the public much longer. 

The mixtape consists of 12 tracks, with features from artists such as Gucci Mane, Cam’ron, Bas, Central Cee, Ari Lennox, Young Dro and more. 

This release came as a surprise, and many believe that it was rushed to try to respond to Drake and Kendrick Lamar, who turned away from a collab album with Cole to make their own with Metro Boomin

Might Delete Later is not absolutely horrible, but it does not match up with Cole’s usual standard. It is the worst production that he has put out to the public. 

The songs do not have the same flow and lyrics that listeners really have to think about, like most of Cole’s songs. There are still some bright spots, like in the song H.Y.B., where signs of creative lyricism are prevalent.

But even after a couple of good verses and bright spots, this album comes nowhere close to something like 2014 Forest Hills Drive, or even the more recent The Off-Season.