Portraits by Kathi

Essential Listening: Paramore made an impact from the start

Paramore released All We Know Is Falling, a pop-punk album, in 2005. Image courtesy of Fueled by Ramen.
Paramore released ‘All We Know Is Falling,” a pop-punk album, in 2005. Image courtesy of Fueled by Ramen.

Tired of your Spotify playlists? The Purbalite is here to help with our Essential Listening series.

Paramore, the two-time Grammy-winning rock band, has amassed a variety of fans through their 19-year career. But their origins are not as publicized as their current hits. 

Their debut album from 2005, All We Know Is Falling, is a near-perfect album, considering the circumstances. It was made by literal teenagers: Frontwoman Hayley Williams was 16 at the time of its release, and she had been as young as 14 while writing the album. 

In the early days, before the group had even released anything, the bassist left the band. A lot of the grief in the songs is the band’s reaction to the departure. The third single, “All We Know,” expresses this confusion and sadness.

The classic scene album has poetic lyrics, which is a surprisingly beautiful start for the young writer. 

“Emergency” is an emotional track with real and thought-provoking lyrics. “I’ve seen love die / Way too many times / When it deserved to be alive… / I’ve seen you cry / Way too many times / When you deserved to be alive.”

The album is transcendent and flows very nicely. It is a time capsule of early 2000s emo pop rock, while still feeling fresh with every listen. 

Taking into account the lyrics, instrumentals, and Williams’ amazing, albeit young, vocals, the band revealed their promise from the start. Paramore is known for the outstanding voice of Williams, and this album put her talent out for people to hear.