k.o.

Ocean started strong with ‘Nostalgia, Ultra’

He only has released three albums and is known for taking extended breaks. Photo via Def Jam Records.

Tired of your Spotify playlists? The Purbalite is here to help with our Essential Listening series.

Frank Ocean started his career with the 2011 album Nostalgia, Ultra, which includes some excellent songs.

Previously, Ocean had been featured in some of Tyler, The Creator’s songs, such as “She,” which is a popular song to this day.

Nostalgia, Ultra includes underrated songs like “Novacane” and “American Wedding.”

“American Wedding” is based on a sample of the song “Hotel California” by the Eagles. The song features the background track of “Hotel California,” but Ocean changed the lyrics. The Eagles threatened legal action if Ocean continued to perform this song, and because of this, Nostalgia, Ultra, is not available for streaming on Spotify.

“Novacane” was released as a single before Nostalgia, Ultra. The song illustrates the demise of a girl with a troubled lifestyle. She numbs her pain with Novocaine, a drug commonly used in dentistry to numb pain. Ocean sings, “You put me on a feeling I’ve never had” and that he’s been trying to get the same relationship and feeling back.

This album jumpstarted Ocean’s career. He only has released three albums and is known for taking extended breaks.

This album has a unique feel, and listeners who enjoy R&B and rap music should give this album a try.