wytiaz

Essential Listening: Joel’s 52nd Street provides a nostalgic sound

Billy Joel alludes to his background in the music industry through 52nd Street. 
Photo Courtesy of BillyJoel.com
Billy Joel alludes to his background in the music industry through 52nd Street. Photo Courtesy of BillyJoel.com

Tired of your Spotify playlists? The Purbalite is here to help with our Essential Listening series.

All Billy Joel albums are successful in showcasing his talents, but 52nd Street creates a personal connection to Joel’s musical career. 

The album name relates well to the songs, as 52nd Street is a famous location for jazz musicians in Midtown Manhattan. With the album name being so special to Joel himself, the artistically crafted songs follow suit. 

The album contains upbeat, feel-good songs such as the hit “My Life” as well as slow-paced songs like “Until the Night,” which are both highlights.  Each song matches the aesthetic of the album with jazzy compositions and intricate chords worked into each song. 

One of Joel’s most popular songs, “Zanzibar,” has a vintage, jazzy sound and catchy lyrics that match perfectly with Joel’s voice. “Rosalinda’s Eyes,” meanwhile, provides a warm and sentimental feeling with a soothing tempo and summertime feel to it. 

Each song contains a story and purpose, making the album one that reaches various audiences. The intricate musicality of each song contributes to the great success of the album.