Pleasant Hills Plumbing

MGMT brings new, softer sound

Loss of Life is a new sound for MGMT. Photo courtesy of MGMT records
“Loss of Life” is a new sound for MGMT. Photo courtesy of MGMT records

The band MGMT goes in a new musical direction with their new album, Loss of Life

MGMT is known for their interesting mixes and hard-hitting vocals, but their new album takes a softer approach. Loss Of Life uses their typical vocal style and slows it down, creating an indie vibe. 

This band partially pulls off the new style. It has all of the vibes of the old music combined with slowed-down and raw vocals, but some of the songs lack the excitement of their old music. 

MGMT uses a retro style throughout the album, but remains fresh and not overdone, and despite the change in vocal style, the band keeps their unique image.

They also continued to use creative album art, which adds a more creative and artsy vibe to the album. 

The tempo and overall vibe ranges throughout, from fast paced and exciting to slowed down and mellow. The faster songs are very strong, continuing what the band has typically done in the past, although some of the slower songs fall flat. 

Songs like “Nothing Changes” and the title track remain exciting even though they have the mellow feel of the majority of the album. 

On the other hand, songs like “People on the Streets” and “Mother Nature” are meant to be ballads, but the vocals and production do not support the style of the song.