Wren + Rita

Essential Listening: Debut from the Smiths deserves to be heard

The Smiths self-titled album cover. Photo via Genius Lyrics

Tired of your Spotify playlists? The Purbalite is here to help with our Essential Listening series.

While the song “Bigmouth Strikes Again” by The Smiths trended for several months in the beginning of 2023, many people have yet to hear any of the band’s other music.

The band’s ’60s rock and indie-pop beat back their heart-filled lyrics. The Smiths stuck out from other groups of their time because of their guitarist, Johnny Marr, who created unique and innovative melodies.

The Smiths’ debut self-titled album rarely gets recognition, despite it setting the bar for the rest of the band’s music.

The album opens with “Reel Around the Fountain,” which many have thought to be a prime example of artists’ love for ambiguous lyrics. Morrissey sings, “Reel around the fountain.
Slap me on the patio. I’ll take it now.” While some believe this song to be written about physical abuse, others claim it to describe the struggle that comes with growing up.

“I Don’t Owe You Anything,” meanwhile, focuses on the pain of caring for someone who does not reciprocate those feelings. With lyrics like, “Did I really walk all this way, just to hear you say ‘Oh, I don’t want to go out tonight,’ ” the listener experiences the struggle of caring too much.

With the skillful melodies and meaningful lyrics, The Smith’s music shares stories in which many audiences feel seen.