k.o.

Essential Listening: ‘Electric Ladyland’ found Hendrix at a peak

Electric Ladyland is Jimi Hendrixs third and final studio album. Image courtesy of Reprise Records.
‘Electric Ladyland’ is Jimi Hendrix’s third and final studio album. Image courtesy of Reprise Records.

Tired of your Spotify playlists? The Purbalite is here to help with our Essential Listening series.

One of Jimi Hendrix’s most popular albums, Electric Ladyland, is an essential listen and staple of the world of rock and R&B blues.

Hendrix released this album in 1968, only two years before he sadly passed away of an overdose. With it, he sold his highest number of copies of an album, delivering over 7.7 million worldwide. 

Popular tracks off the album, such as “Voodoo Chile” and “Gypsy Eyes,” supply the listener with an energetic flow and unique set of lyrics. Hendrix focuses his lyrics throughout the songs on the aspect of love, which is popular in the blues genre. 

Despite his powerful lyrics, the most impressive feature of his music is his quick-paced guitar playing. Songs such as “Come On” and “1983” express this, as Hendrix impressively completes multiple lengthy guitar solos. 

Even though Hendrix is mostly known for his fast playing, other songs on the album, such as “Rainy Day, Dream Away,” really focus on his R&B style of playing. This track’s popularity is due to the calming flow and meaningful lyrics that Hendrix expresses. 

Even though Hendrix’s promising career was cut short at age 27, he still had an extreme impact on the genre of rock and R&B.