Farm Honey

Drama Club hopes to increase participation

+The+Theatre+class+proposed+specific+Drama+Club+sessions+so+anyone+could+act+and+put+together+scenes+for+fun.+Photo+courtesy+of+Booyabazooka%0A
The Theatre class proposed specific Drama Club sessions so anyone could act and put together scenes for fun. Photo courtesy of Booyabazooka

Freshman Gianna Harkins was in the semester-long Theatre class in the fall, but she did not want the fun to end there.

The Drama Club has focused primarily on fall play and spring musical sessions for some time, so Harkins and some other students in the Theatre class proposed specific Drama Club sessions so anyone could act and put together scenes for fun. 

“We want to do improv stuff and help people get better at acting and getting people more involved with theater,” Harkins said. 

The club plans to help people boost their improv skills and perform for fun. Students are encouraged to join even if they have no prior theater experience and just want to have some fun with friends.

Freshman Mary-Kate Stock wanted to get more Baldwin students involved in the theater scene.

“There has been a decrease in music and arts (participation) since COVID, so we are hoping it will shine interest on that,” Stock said.

English teacher Cassidy Cooper teaches the Theatre class and has sponsored the club since 2021.

“We have absorbed much of the club’s activities into the productions of BHS Theatre — meaning that students who are involved in the productions are considered members of the Drama Club, either as performers or technical crew,” Cooper said.

The club is not just for students who have been in the theater class, fall play, or spring musical.

“In my eyes, it is more than a club: It’s a community,” Cooper said. “Whether in the classroom or as an extracurricular, onstage or behind the scenes, theater education is incredibly important and rewarding.”

The club had its first specific Drama Club meeting a few weeks ago and organizers were happy with the turnout and hope to get more people involved. 

The plan is to hold these kinds of Drama Club sessions once a month, with promotions on social media and posters around the school. The next session is set for next Friday and will be held in Room 317 after school.