k.o.

Tracy Chapman’s self-titled debut is more than just ‘Fast Car’

The song is a palatable story of love through poverty. Photo via Elektra.

Tired of your Spotify playlists? The Purbalite is here to help with our Essential Listening series.

Tracy Chapman’s 1988 self-titled debut album is a genius piece of social commentary that remains just as relevant today as it was nearly four decades ago. 

The opening track is titled “Talking About a Revolution,” and it talks of class struggle. It discusses the prevalence of poverty and people “sitting around, waiting for a promotion.” 

Chapman’s lyrics have an honesty to them not seen in a lot of other music. She shares small anecdotes of real experiences, creating a connection with the listener. 

The next song on the album is “Fast Car,” undeniably the most popular off of the album. The song is a palatable story of love through poverty. It tells the story of holding onto dreams while barely being able to pay bills. 

The story of the song connects to the humanity in people and a desire to escape bad situations. 

The song itself is beautifully crafted. It is simple, and it allows for Chapman’s vocals to carry the message alongside the instruments that flow with the story.

The song “Behind the Wall” takes a different angle of social commentary. This song is a commentary on the functionality of police. 

Chapman describes the inaction of the police in a situation of domestic violence, leading to the escalation of the violence. She tells this story from the perspective of a concerned neighbor trying to sleep. 

The rest of the album features equally genius songs about love and social commentary. This debut should not be reduced to simply “Fast Car.”