K&G Auto Service

Remastered ‘Persona’ video game provides thrills

Persona 3: Reload remasters old mechanics and revitalizes them. Photo courtesy of Sega.

Persona 3, a video game made back in 2006, has been remastered for new consoles and is a fun turn-based game that also incorporates role-play.

Persona 3: Reload had good updates with new graphics but sticks with the same basic plot, so fans of the earlier version can still enjoy the game.

The game is about teenager Makoto Yuki, who goes to a new city where every human turns into a coffin at midnight. Only some people can remember what happens in the hour after midnight, called the dark hour.

People can unleash their alter egos, which are called their personas. There are also shadows that will kill people who don’t have the will to unleash their persona. 

People like Yuki, however, can release their persona and kill the shadows. Because of this ability, he joins the Specialized Extracurricular Execution Squad, which kills shadows.

During the daytime, players are students who interact with other students to get a social link, something that’s useful for the players’ personas. But by night players are shadow killers who go to a building called Tartarus to find out why the dark hour exists.

Tartarus is bland and the game developers didn’t do much with it. Although it still is a maze, the first four floors are pretty useless, since players can automatically move to the fifth floor.

But the game is honestly amazing. Players will get sucked into the storyline fairly easily and get attached to every character.