SparkleGirlsCleaning

Essential listening: Styx have more to offer than just Renegade

Ralph Arvesen
‘Styx’ is an American rock band that was formed in 1972. Styx by Ralph Arvesen is licensed under CC BY 2.0 DEED.

Tired of your Spotify playlists? The Purbalite is here to help with our Essential Listening series.

When Pittsburghers hear of the band Styx, they might think about the Steelers. Their song “Renegade” is a Steelers staple, but for some people, “Renegade” is the only Styx song that they know.

“Renegade” is a part of the Styx album called Pieces Of Eight, which fans of that Steelers song should check out. This 1978 album is one of the top-selling albums for Styx.

Pieces Of Eight also has great songs that are not as popular, such as “Blue Collar Man” and “Pieces Of Eight.”

“Blue Collar Man” is such a great song because of its story. It’s about a man who works with anything and everything for his family’s financial security. “Pieces Of Eight” stands out because of its message – that people should not feel pressured into beauty standards, and that it kills people’s self-esteem.

For those who have not listened to the lyrics, “Renegade” also has a great story. It tells the story of a man who is scared and shows regret about breaking the law. 

While “Renegade” is played at Steelers games and is a game day tradition, “Blue Collar Man” and “Pieces Of Eight” help make this album one that music fans should check out.