wytiaz

Essential Listening: Clairo’s ‘Sling’ deserves more attention

Clario released her studio album Sling in 2021 summer. Image Via: Clario Records

Tired of your Spotify playlists? The Purbalite is here to help with our Essential Listening series.

Clairo’s most recent album, 2021’s Sling, is overlooked within her discography, as none of the songs on the album has ever reached her top five on Spotify.

Songs like “Amoeba” and “Partridge” are why Sling as a whole should be more widely known. But these songs are often overlooked for Clairo’s more popular music, like “Sofia” and “Bubble Gum.” 

The album describes various feelings experienced by Clairo, whose real name is Claire Cottrill. Each song describes a different one of these feelings.

The instrumental song “Joanie” is written about her dog, while “Blouse” is about struggling to feel validated in an unhealthy relationship. “Zinnais” is about wanting to return to your childhood town and settle down into a familiar life away from the media and fame. 

The sound of the album is alternative indie pop and it features piano and guitar melodies. Clairo’s vocals and tone stay consistent throughout the album, making it one of the best albums to relax to. 

Compared to Clairo’s other music, Sling shows a different mood than what her audience is used to. But overall, the album is underrated and a good listen.