todd

Rapper ZekeUltra tries new style, with limited success

ZekeUltra recently released his sixth album, Samo. Photo courtesy of Bandcamp.

Delaware-based rapper ZekeUltra brings a new sound on his newest album, Samo, but the production fails him.

ZekeUltra has been compared to rappers like Mike and Earl Sweatshirt, but with this new album, it seems like he is breaking away from that identity. The song that highlights this the most is the second track, “Nile Perch,” which features an upbeat loop and a relaxing chorus. 

His talent in looping, chopping, and remixing the samples plays a massive role in this album, as he branches out with his sound and goes for a more buoyant approach to production. ZekeUltra usually digs deep in his lyrics, not just using literary devices, but confronting his issues head-on in his songs. 

But this album is twisty, in the sense that listeners aren’t sure what to expect from the next song. Although this album does have an entirely different style than his previous albums, it is not his most well-put-together piece. 

Samo does not sound like a finished product because it is unpolished. Fans expecting high-quality sound engineering will be disappointed. Looping and chopping old samples cannot be a rapper’s only approach to a song, but that is too often the case for ZekeUltra. 

Still, this album is a step in the right direction for him as a rapper. While it is disappointing, it is not terrible. It also gives ZekeUltra’s fans an idea about how the rapper plans to go forward with his music.