SH Dance Academy

‘Mean Girls’ musical movie brought down by poor casting choices

The+new+mean+girls+movie+turns+out+to+be+a+disappointment.+
Paramount Pictures
The new mean girls movie turns out to be a disappointment.

Although highly anticipated, the new musical Mean Girls movie is a disappointment.

For starters, instead of being advertised as a film version of the hit Broadway musical, it was promoted as a remake of the original movie. This made those who do not enjoy musicals upset when it turned out to be one. 

Although Regina George is played by Renee Rapp, one of the actresses who played the role on Broadway, the rest of the cast could have been better.

While viewers have been raving about Rapp’s performance and vocal skills, they have also been bashing Angourie Rice, who plays Cady. In comparison to any actress in the live production, Rice lacks emotion in her singing and acting. 

While the basic plot line remains mostly the same – the new kid in school runs into the most popular clique – the remake has become much more inappropriate. The main theme of the movie has become more explicit than the original and should not be promoted to a younger audience. 

The most notable part of the film is Rapp singing “World Burn” towards the end. This song almost makes up for the rest of the fan-favorite songs that have been cut.